Social icons

Lemon & stem ginger scones

Friday, 2 May 2014
British summertime is as fickle as it is fleeting but the one constant that everyone can enjoy is a traditional cream tea. Served everywhere from Claridge's to Cornwall it is quintessentially British, often accompanied with cucumber sandwiches (crust cut off naturally), colourful little patisseries and delicate bone china teacups. It's a feast for the senses and incredibly easy to repeat at home.


I saw this recipe on the cover of the May edition of 'Waitrose Kitchen'. I am really impressed with this magazine all the recipes I've tried have turned out well and it is beautifully edited. It's also free to My Waitrose members which is a boon.

I've never made dough before, not bread, not pizza, not even cheese straws and certainly not scones but I am about to get quite creative in my kitchen as it couldn't be simpler plus the aroma is heavenly.

You will need:
225g self-raising flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
2tbsp of castor sugar
1/2tsp of salt
55g of unsalted butter (chilled & cubed)
1 lemon, zest & 1tbsp of juice
2tbsp of chopped stem ginger
125ml of whole milk (plus a little extra for brushing)
A smallish cookie cutter

Preheat the oven to 200ยบC
Lightly dust a baking tray with flour

In a large bowl combine the self-raising flour, castor sugar and salt. Add the cubed butter and work it into the flour mix, squeezing it between your fingers until it reaches a breadcrumb like consistency. The mix will be quite dry and not at all like a crumble mix. Stir in the lemon zest and then make a well in the centre.

Combine the chopped stem ginger, lemon juice and milk in a jug and pour this slowly into the well. Roughly bring the liquid and flour mix together, using a knife helps, knead very briefly to ensure a smooth consistency and to push some of the air out of the dough.

Dust a little flour over a cutting surface then pat out the dough to about 2cm thick; using the cookie cutter cut out your scones and place them onto the prepared baking tray. Re-roll any trimmings and re-cut until all the dough is used. Brush the surface of the uncooked scones with milk and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until they are golden.


Allow the scones to cool on a wire rack. Once cool you should be able to pull the scones apart rather than cut them (it's the sign of a good scone). Serve with lashings of clotted cream, raspberry jam or lemon curd if you prefer and hot Earl Grey tea. I had mine with strawberry and champagne jam, delicious!


5 comments

  1. I love that...lashings of clotted cream! A delightful post Emma! I've been channeling my British ancestors recently; making scones on a regular basis, and drinking pots and pots of tea. For reasons unknown, I've brought it upon myself to hunt down the choicest Cream Earl Grey, and currently have four different local brands in my cupboard. I was off tea for a long while, but I rather suspect Downtown Abbey was instrumental in reigniting my passion. Now!!! I will most definitely give this recipe a whirl. Lemon and ginger scones sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look super delicious! xx
    www.katieskitchenjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome blog format! How long have you been running a blog for?
    you make running a blog look easy. The whole glance of your site is
    great, let alone the content!

    Also visiit my web page: juicer recipes energy

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.