Social icons

Spring overhaul: The Wardrobe Edit

Thursday, 27 February 2014
Following on from the big garden clear out last weekend, today I edited my wardrobe for spring. For some reason I find this so much harder than the autumn edit. Maybe it's the association with spring cleaning or the concept of starting over in spring but somehow it feels as though the wardrobe purge needs to be thorough; which is brutal because not only have I lovingly hand picked each and every item in my wardrobe I also remember when I've worn them, with whom and for what purpose. The clothes hold memories, a tactile diary of my life. It can be difficult to choose what to let go.
So I start with woolens. Separating them into light and heavy knits. Focusing on the heavy knits anything I didn't wear this winter goes. It's a simple fact that once you stop wearing something it's a rare occurrence that you will start wearing it again with any regularity, so bite the bullet. The light knits I barely edit, anything badly creased will go to the dry cleaners to be freshened up. Of the remaining woolens the heavy knits are packed away until autumn while the light knits I fold and stack in the cupboard organised by colour.
Moving on to tops I take out anything with a stain that won't budge (check white shirts in particular), anything with a hole in it as well as anything that hasn't been worn in a year. These I separate these into 'bin', 'charity' and 'sell' piles. The remainder are reorganised in the wardrobe by colour. Then it's time to move onto dresses, skirts and trousers. The same rules apply but I also take out anything older than three years to be scrutinized, if it doesn't fit with my current style I pack it away or sell it depending on how attached I am to a particular piece.
I expect some Bella & Bear readers will be wondering, why go to all the effort? Well there are three excellent reasons why. The first is that once all the winter clothes are packed away and the wheat is separated from the chaff, there is extra space in the closet for new season pieces to be introduced. The second is that by reviewing what you have it becomes easier to identify what you need. Lastly, come autumn you can unpack the stored items and to find pieces you already own. Take my leather oxblood mid-length pencil skirt for example. It's from Oasis and I bought it circa 2000/2001. It spent over seven years in storage (I just couldn't part with it) to be revived in autumn 2012. I love finding new ways to work old pieces. It was an instant refresh for the wardrobe and it felt wonderful to rediscover an old friend.

6 comments

  1. You seem very organised :) I have all my summer & winter clothes together as I don't have much storage space but even with clearing out a few times a year, there's still clothes in there that I barely wear! Sigh...xx
    www.LaurasHaven.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes I am ultra organised. You can always get those trundle boxes for under the bed to store clothes from season to season x

      Delete
  2. Love how you organized it

    http://fashmongers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, just like Bella I like to group things by colour rather than form... easier on the eye x

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love your wardrobe and would wish one like this!

    ♥ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stella, perks of being a divorcee = double wardrobe space :) I love silver linings x

      Delete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.