Social icons

No such thing as too many Hydrangea

Tuesday, 24 September 2013
I've always had a fondness for hydrangea, particularly the blue ones. Growing up in rural Worcestershire meant we had a large garden, parts of which were filled with hydrangea taller than me and covered in beautiful blooms from June to October. I've often wondered if there is another plant that gives so much for so little? I don't think there is, but if you can give me an example I will be very happy to add it to my garden as well.

Coming back to London after two years in Rowayton, Connecticut has left me pining for the sight of those blue orbs again. Almost every street has a house with hydrangea lining the porch and it was a joy to see. So much so that I have decided to turn my little part of London into a hydrangea haven too. I have already pulled up the grasses that were planted under the window at the front of the house (the neighbourhood cats kept sleeping on them anyway) and in their place planted two neat box balls and three unusual white lacecap hydrangea.



There are more varieties available than you would think. Hydrangea macrophylla is the most well known in our gardens, with the mophead's producing the round globe of flowers and the lacecap's producing a flatter head with tiny fertile flowers in the centre of the cluster and larger sterile flowers around the the edge. It's important to know which you want, especially if you want to use them for cut flowers as the effect in a vase is very different. Hydrangea paniculata produces cone shaped flowers and the leaves look more oak-like. Hydrangea arborescens is becoming more popular, 'Annabelle' is probably the most well known as the white ball of flowers can be larger than an adult human head. I find this variety suffers from droopy stems, although a new cultivar has been introduced to address this problem I haven't seen it in person yet.

For my back garden, I am swooning (yes I swoon at plants as well as handbags, I also experience child like glee in antique shops and get giddy at interior decor exhibitions, it's just the way I am) over Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer. It flowers on both new AND old wood people, this is something to be excited about trust me, for it practically guarantees a profusion of blooms from June right the way through to October. The only problem is I simply can't decide, blue, pink or white?

What do you think?

Em x





2 comments

  1. Oooh, I like the simplicity of white...but i saw blue in a garden in South Africa and they were aaamazing. Nope I can't decide either. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. We do love pink flowers but the blue ones look so different; difficult to decide!

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.