Social icons

Lemon Cake

Tuesday, 17 September 2013
I know I've had a good day when my children are not only fed and tucked up in bed by 7.30pm and I have done all the things a mum does and never gets thanked for "oh mummy the bathroom smells wonderful, did you use that new Mr. Muscle bathroom spray you picked up last week?" "Why yes, yes I did, thank you for noticing." Or, "Wow mummy, laundered and ironed! You're the best." Anyway I digress, today has been a super mum day for me because I also baked (cue mock horror from my friends).

I am not a foodie, that's the first thing I have to tell you. My tendency to deviate from a recipe has led to many, many binned meals and flat cakes. If perfection in the kitchen is something you look for I'm afraid you won't find it here... but I do love to make things for my family. This had led to me trying out more than a few of those pre-mix style cakes, brownie packets and pancake mixes. Hey, don't judge, there's clearly a market for them and why make life complicated? The trick is to know which taste reasonably home made and which taste of absolutely nothing good.

So today's experiment was with Betty Crocker's Sunny Lemon Cake Mix, with glaze! I almost stuck to the recipe, I threw in some cranberries at the last minute. It was this simple. Open packet and tip contents into bowl. Add two eggs, some oil and water. Mix. Pour mixture into greased cake tin. Bake for 35 mins. Glaze. Total time taken about 50 minutes. I made it while Bella & Bear were preoccupied with poking at their supper. I'm pretty happy with the result too, a lemon cake that tastes of lemon and is springy to the touch. It looks a little 'canary yellow' in the pictures but to the naked eye it just about hits the 'natural yellow' of a vanilla sponge cake and two slices in it tastes pretty darn good too (the cranberries work fyi). So overall, I think... I love Betty, wink.




Em x

1 comment

  1. This looks delicious! Wonderful post! I think I love betty too! ;)

    x leah symonne x

    itsleli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

©Bella & Bear 2013, 2014. Powered by Blogger.